Sunday, July 19, 2009

Aaron loves me best at Bedtime

Aaron and Mommy in the Land of the Dragons Treehouse at Busch Gardens, taken by Grampy


Because of the way our school mornings go, we decided when it was time for me to go back to work after having Aaron that Chris would be in charge of Aaron in the mornings, and I would do nighttimes. There are a few exceptions, but we stick to this routine pretty closely. Aaron thrives on routines. I think that is an age thing, but is also pretty true for most of our household. No matter how cantankerous a day Aaron has had, or how much he fights during instructions, or resists brushing teeth, or hollers while changing into his jammies, once Aaron and I are in his chair and he is drinking his milk and cuddling under his blanket, a switch is flipped and he is at his very most loving. It has been widely known that Aaron is a Daddy's boy. He prefers to be with his Dad in almost any situation. That is starting to even out a bit, but even at his most Daddy-loving, Aaron is so affectionate with me during our nighttime together. Here's how it goes, I want to make sure I remember this years from now:


  1. Aaron brushes his teeth, checking for sugar bugs and now he flosses.
  2. He walks to his room in his diaper and then puts his clothes in his hamper.
  3. He picks his jammies and I put them on.
  4. He calls "DAAAAAADDDY BWING MIOUK PWEEEASE!!!!"
  5. Chris brings up milk and Aaron turns on his twilight turtle, closes his door, and turns off his lamp (he is especially proud of that).
  6. He gives Chris a hug, Chris puts him in my lap in the chair and covers him up with his blanket.
  7. Aaron drinks his milk and requests his first song, Baby Mine. He then requests LaLaLu and then You'll Be in My Heart
  8. Then, Aaron cuddles up in his blanket and puts it over my arm too. He then pushes on my chin so I lay my head down on the side of the chair and says "Close you eyes Mommy, go to sleep." I pretend, he keeps his eyes open watching me, but makes a fake snoring sound. Then I open my eyes and catch him watching me and he giggles. He also sometimes rubs my face or hair during this part.
  9. Finally, it's time for kisses. One lip smooch, kisses on each cheek, rub noses, and then noggin. He says "Noggin, Dude."
  10. Then it is into the big boy bed, where he lays on his big stuffed "Dude" as a pillow and insists on having both blankets put on him. I always make him say love you Mommy, goodnight, no matter how many times it takes.

Many times Aaron has done excruciatingly sweet things during this ni-night time like singing to me or holding my face, and it is not at all unusual for me to come downstairs crying due to the overwhelming love I feel for my boy. Chris humors me and listens while I tell the stories, which are repetitive to be sure. I love this time I have with Aaron. Sometimes I am tired or cranky and I don't want to wrestle with him while trying to brush his teeth or even trudge up the stairs and Chris tag-teams for me. But really, it is my favorite time of day with my little man.

1 comment:

  1. I love my family! I love my wife! I love the calm, loving influence my wife has on our family! I love that my wife does things like this blog...love you honey!

    ReplyDelete