Thursday, July 14, 2011

7/13-A successful day of hard work

I had this post all ready to go yesterday but my phone crashed and I had to restore it. Just what we needed! Anyway, here's the recap of yesterday and I will be back tonight when I am tucked into my cozy sleeping chair to do today's update.

Aaron got a lot of sleep overnight, and I got some, but I wake up when his monitor or IV beeps and every time they come in to check him. This was his first day of really hard physical therapy, which we undertook ourselves since the real PTs didn't come.
Aaron made it to the edge of the bed, sat there with a lot of assistance and then stood up on the floor. The exertion and pain took a toll on him. I got him up in a chair with me and he sat forward resting his chin on a table in front of us for an hour, which took a toll on me! He actually fell asleep like that for a little while.
Later after Chris and NanaGrampy arrived we did some more work. Dr. Lehman was insistent that we get him up and walking and we didn't want to lose a day just because no PT came to see us. We got him out of bed again, standing briefly and then into a kids size wheel chair to make a trip down to the playroom, where he has wanted to go since he got out of surgery.
When we got down there, he took two steps to get out of his wheelchair. Sat in a regular chair for about 30 minutes and then took two steps to get back into the chair. This was all very heavily assisted, but we were really proud of his progress. The other great development is that early in the evening Aaron was allowed to advance beyond ice chips. He had a purple Popsicle and a little applesauce and held it down.
I have to admit that the stress finally got to me today. I know Aaron is doing so much better everyday, but this recovery process is emotionally and physically exhausting for all of us. I am glad i was able to hold it together for so long, especially on surgery day, but today it just seemed too overwhelming. As my friend Andrea said, now that the scary part is over as far as we are concerned (the surgery) the scary part for Aaron (recovery and pain) is just beginning. All the movement hurts him so so badly.
I went back to the hotel for a break in the middle of the day for a hot lunch, hot tea, a hot shower and a long nap before heading back to take my nighttime shift.
Here's what Aaron was looking like on the 13th...you gotta smile at that!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Oh fab photo hun !! So good to see that smile !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That smile makes it all worth it, doesn't it?!? Keep at it, Kim. He's so blessed to have his mama right there with him, every step of this journey. Praying hard for all of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving that happy face. It sounds like a long road to full recovery. You are all so blessed to have each other there to help. I'm so glad he is doing well with keeping the food down and getting up and around. Tough on the little guy and all of you I'm sure but he'll be running around in no time at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sending you hugs KIm thinking of you, melt downs are allowed you have been staying strong over this for a long time. It is so good to see Aaron smiling he is one strong little guy xx

    ReplyDelete