Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25

Today Aaron was treated to a very special movie date with friends to see Liong King 3D. I really wanted to take him, but the tickets are so expensive, and September is full of birthdays. I headed over to the rec center while he was there, and he was really tired when I picked him up so I had to cancel my afternoon plans with him to go back to the rec center for open swim.
Today I was inspired by my friend Shari to give an update on Aaron’s back. Here is what is left of his scar. Pretty amazing right?
IMG_5506
IMG_5509
IMG_5511
After the last of his steri-strips came off and I could see the whole incision for the first time, I have to admit that it was pretty upsetting. More than anything it was just a graphic reminder of everything he went through, and everything we went through too. I wanted to leave it alone for a while, but after a couple of weeks the skin got very tight and dry so I got a stick of pure cocoa butter to put on it twice a day based on some recommendations I got. That caused his skin to break out in a wicked rash, so I stopped using it and his back cleared right up. Now I just put regular lotion on it and rub it every night.

Under his skin, those rods are working hard to straighten those healthy vertebrae that spent 4 years growing crookedly. He won’t have another set of follow up x-rays until February, but based on the last set Dr. Lehman said everything was going perfectly.  It’s still so hard to believe after everything that transpired that he is doing perfectly well today. We shake our heads in disbelief every time we think about it or talk about it.

For anyone out there whose children are going through medical difficulties, here’s a little love from our family to yours.
IMG_5515

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update Kim. Your little guy is such an angel. I'm so glad to see him healing so well. He is an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete